Sunday, July 14, 2024

Invitation to a Heart Politics gathering

 

As are roots to trunk,
the Beloved Community
and Heart Politics;
rooted in the soil of love,
action for the common good.



© Rafael Jesús González 2024




In 1990 or ’91, Fran Peavey (1941-2010 ) invited me to a gathering she called Heart Politics at Fort Cronkhite by Rodeo Beach on the Pacific just outside the Golden Gate. It was attended by activists, mostly from the San Francisco Bay area, many whom I met there for the first time, though there were some from New Zealand, one Rex with whom I became friends.

Many of us were near burnout. But the gathering was unlike any activist gathering I had ever attended. There was a lightness to it and devoted more to story-telling that to plotting strategy, a true conspiring, a communal breathing, an inspiration — and long conversations from the heart. Toward the end of the gathering, Rex invited me to a Heart Politics gathering to be held in New Zealand the beginning of 1992.

Captivated by the Maori culture from an exhibit at the De Young museum some years earlier, I longed to attend but truly could not afford it. My community, however, through donations and sponsoring fund-raising dinners and events, raised the funds to send me.

At the Auckland airport, I was met by a beautiful woman, Elaine Dyer, who said that I must be properly welcomed to holy Aotearoa in the Maori  manner and immediately drove us to the Auckland Museum.

There, a Maori welcoming ceremony was about to take place and Elaine literally pushed me to the front. A young man in full warrior attire accosted me. I would call him beautiful except for the horrific grimaces with which he faced me sticking out his tongue and yelling threatening words which I did not understand and brandishing a patu in my face. I was terrified, but I knew that I had to stand there impassively meeting him eye to eye. Then, seeing that I did not flinch from his attack, he lowered his patu, touched his forehead to mine, pressed his nose to mine, and with the hongi I was welcomed to Aotearoa (New Zealand.)

Thus I was welcomed by the Maori and was invited to Rotorua where Lyonel Grant, renowned Maori artist, and I became friends, and as an elder, I was invited to speak at a ceremony in the marae. The heart politics gathering was held in Taupo in the North Island, at the Tauhara Centre, a beautiful setting by any standard.

It was magic, the folk there were magic, all of the Beloved Community, truly a community of the heart from which we were obliged to speak throughout the time we were together. Some of it was not easy, like an all-night session of storytelling around a fire, sundown to sunrise (not unlike a peyote meeting without the sacred medicine) conducted in the Maori manner, a conch shell passed around like a talking-stick. The gathering was healing, inspiring, heart-filling, heart-expanding and all the stories that I could tell about it could not explain Heart Politics. I will best let Vivian Hutchinson, a friend whom I met there, explain a Heart Politics gathering.

That Heart Politics gathering was pivotal for me, a fit way to begin 1992, five hundred years after the Europeans who, looking for India, stumbled upon what was to them “the New World,” to us “American Indians,” a world old beyond reckoning. Five hundred years of resistance that still goes on.

I have not attended a Heart Politics gathering since, but my experience in New Zealand has informed what I do. Then, at the beginning of July, I received an e-mail from the City of Berkeley informing me that a Mark Skelding wanted to contact me. Mark had tracked me down at the recommendation of Vivian Hutchinson to invite me to the Heart Politics gathering to be held in Petaluma, in Sonoma County, the North Bay region in August this next month 16-20th. Mark and I have become friends on the internet and so, after many years, I will attend my third Heart Politics gathering on my home ground in California where Heart Politics began.

You are invited. 
Como las raíces al tronco,
la Comunidad Amada
y la Política de Corazón;
arraigada en el suelo del amor,

acción para el bien común.


© Rafael Jesús González 2024




En 1990 o 1991, Fran Peavey (1941-2010) me invitó a una reunión que llamó Heart Politics (Polítca de corazón) en el Fuerte Cronkhite, junto a la playa Rodeo en el Pacífico a las afueras de la Puerta de oro (Golden Gate.) Asistieron activistas, en su mayoría del área de la Bahía de San Francisco, muchos de l@s cuales conocí allí por primera vez, aunque había también algunos de Nueva Zelanda, un tal Rex con quien me hice amigo.

Muchos de nosotros estábamos al borde del agotamiento. Pero la reunión no se parecía a ninguna reunión de activistas a la que había asistido. Había levedad en ello y se dedicó más a contar historias que a trazar una estrategia, una verdadera conspiración, un respirar comunitario, una inspiración y largas conversaciones de corazón. Hacia el final de la reunión, Rex me invitó a una reunión de Heart Politics que se celebraría en Nueva Zelanda a principios de 1992.

Cautivado por la cultura Maorí por una exposición en el museo De Young algunos años antes, muchas ganas tenía de asistir pero realmente no tenía el dinero para hacerlo. Sin embargo, mi comunidad, a través de donaciones y de cenas y eventos para recaudar fondos, recaudó los fondos para mandarme.

En el aeropuerto de Auckland, me recibió una hermosa mujer, Elaine Dyer, quien me dijo que debía yo recibir la bienvenida a la santa Aotearoa debidamente a manera maorí e inmediatamente nos llevó al Museo de Auckland.

Allí estaba a punto de llevarse a cabo una ceremonia de bienvenida maorí y Elaine literalmente me empujó hacia el frente. Un joven vestido con traje completo de guerrero me enfrentó. Lo llamaría hermoso de no ser por las muecas horrorosas con las que me enfrentó sacando la lengua y gritando palabras amenazadoras que no entendí y empuñando un patu en mi cara. Estaba aterrorizado, pero sabía que tenía que quedarme allí, impasible, mirándolo cara a cara. Luego, al ver que yo no me acobardaba ante su ataque, bajó su patu, tocó su frente con la mía, puso su nariz con la mía, y con el hongi fui bienvenido a Aotearoa (Nueva Zelanda).

Así, los maoríes me dieron la bienvenida y me invitaron a Rotorua, donde Lyonel Grant, renombrado artista maorí, y yo nos hicimos amigos y, como mayor, se me invitó a hablar en una ceremonia en el marae. La reunión de política de corazón se celebró en Taupo, en la Isla Norte, en el Centro Tauhara, un escenario hermoso desde cualquier punto de vista.

Fue magia, la gente allí era mágica, toda de la Amada Comunidad, verdaderamente una comunidad del corazón desde el cual estábamos obligados a hablar durante todo el tiempo que estuvimos juntos. Algunas cosas no fueron fáciles, como una sesión de toda la noche para contar historias alrededor de una fogata, desde el atardecer hasta el amanecer (no muy diferente de una reunión de peyote sin la medicina sagrada) llevada a cabo al estilo maorí, con una caracola pasando de un lado a otro como un bastón de la palabra. La reunión fue sanadora, inspiradora, llenadora y expansiva, y todas las historias que pueda contar sobre ella no pudieran explicar Heart Politics. Lo mejor será que deje que Vivian Hutchinson, un amigo que conocí allí, explique una reunión de Heart Politics.

Aquella reunión de Heart Politics fue fundamental para mí, una forma digna de comenzar 1992, quinientos años después de que los europeos que, buscando la India, toparon con lo que para ellos era “el Nuevo Mundo”, para nosotros “indios americanos”, un mundo viejo más allá de todo cálculo. La Comunidad Amada, la política de corazón son y hacen nuestra revolución.

Desde entonces no he asistido a ninguna reunión de Heart Politics, pero mi experiencia en Nueva Zelanda ha influido en lo que hago. Luego, a principios de julio, recibí un correo electrónico de la ciudad de Berkeley informándome que un tal Mark Skelding quería ponerse en contacto conmigo. Mark me había localizado por recomendación de Vivian Hutchinson para invitarme a la reunión de Heart Politics que se celebrará en Petaluma, en el condado de Sonoma, en la región norte de la bahía, en agosto, este próximo mes 16 al 20. Mark y yo nos hemos hecho amigos en Internet y así es que, después de muchos años, asistiré a mi tercera reunión de Heart Politics en mi propio territorio en California donde comenzó Heart Politics.

Estás invitad@.



No comments: