Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Day after mid-term elections

-

A Dark Sunny Day


I woke up this morning, day after Day of the Dead, to a riot of rainbows. The sun streamed through the windows, but it is a dark day to me and I did not want to get out of bed. Instead, I picked up the book I am reading The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven written by Tonto. (No. An Indian wrote it; he is not tonto.) It is a sad book, but I thought its beauty would cheer me up. It didn't.

It is a dark day; the Republicans have taken back the House and the political map of the U. S. of A. looks drenched in blood. I am ashamed of the country, the meanness of spirit and stupidity that governs it. (I wonder if meanness and stupidity are not the same thing in the long-run. I wonder if misdirected fear makes us both mean and stupid.)

I would be tempted to lose faith were it not for so many of my family, friends, colleagues, fellow citizens so unwavering in their compassion and in the struggle for justice and peace and welfare of the Earth. (Though heaven knows, I also have family, friends, colleagues who voted Republican. I do not know if they are mean or stupid. Most call themselves Christians or Jews. I wonder if I have enough compassion to make allowances for them.)

It's just that at the moment the suffering of so many that this election will cause and prolong dampens my faith and weighs on my heart. Never mind; the sun will warm my spirits and the love of comrades will sweeten my soul. We'll continue the struggle for justice and peace and the welfare of the Earth, and we'll do it with compassion and joy. I count on your company in the struggle that is also the healing dance.


© Rafael Jesús González 2010

Berkeley, California, November 3, 2010



Día oscuro lleno de sol


Desperté esta mañana, día después del Día de muertos, a un alboroto de arcos iris. El sol corría por las ventanas, pero es un día oscuro para mí y no quería levantarme de la cama. En vez tomé el libro que leo The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven [El Vagabundo Solitario y Tonto pelean en el cielo] escrito por Tonto. (No. Un indio lo escribió, no es tonto.) Es un libro triste pero creí que su belleza me alegaría. No fue así.

Es un día oscuro; los Republicanos se han reapoderado de la Cámara de diputados y el mapa político de los EE. UU. de A. aparece cubierto de sangre. Me avergüenzo del país, la mezquindad de espíritu y estupidez que lo gobierna. (Me pregunto si la mezquindad y la estupidez no son la misma cosa al fin y al cabo. Me pregunto si el temor mal dirigido no nos hace ambos mezquinos y estúpidos.)

Sería tentado a perder la fe si no fuera por los muchos de mi familia, amig@s, colegas, conciudadanos tan firmes en su compasión y en la lucha por la justicia y la paz y el bienestar de la Tierra. (Aunque dios sabe, también tengo familia, amig@s, colegas que votaron Republicano. No sé si son mezquinos o estúpidos. La mayoría se llaman cristianos o judíos. Me pregunto si tengo la compasión suficiente para hacerles excusas.)

Sólo es que al momento el sufrimiento de tantos que esta elección causará y prolongará me desalienta la fe y me pesa el corazón. No importa, el sol me calentará el espíritu y el cariño de l@s compañer@s me endulzará el alma. Seguiremos en la lucha por la justicia y la paz y el bienestar de la Tierra y lo haremos con compasión y júbilo. Cuento con tu compañía en la lucha que es también la danza que sana.


© Rafael Jesús González 2010

Berkeley, California, Noviembre 3, 2010
--
-

No comments: